The corona pandemic has played havoc in the lives of everyone. It has destroyed economies, stopped people from socialising and engulfed everyone with the dread of catching the virus. Students have been heavily impacted by Corona. Months of lockdown have led the schools to launch online classes instead of physical classes to keep the virus at bay. Loss of actual study days has forced all boards to reduce the syllabus.
The boards being a few months away, students are busy completing their course and revision work. Here, we would like to give the students a few revision tips to enable them to excel in their boards exams.
- Follow a practical time table to revise and study concepts. It should cover different subjects in a day so that no particular subject lags behind. Tackle difficult subjects first when the mind is fresh, like in the morning. Don’t put difficult subjects back-to-back but intersperse a hard one with an easy one.
- Go through important highlighted topics and written notes daily. Keep a list of formulae, experiments, etc. which are readily available. Stick notes in your room and go through them in your spare time.
- Use mnemonics wherever possible to remember the answers. (A mnemonic, also known as a memory aid, is a tool that helps you remember an idea or phrase with a pattern of letters, numbers, or relatable associations). Associating answers with a song, rhyme, acronym or phrase will help in immediate recapitulation of facts.
- Record yourself while learning a concept, pretend you are teaching it and play it back while on the move. Also, explaining the concepts to a friend will further enhance your understanding of the concepts.
- Try the Pomodora study technique – 25 minutes study with a 5 minutes break. It is highly effective.
- Practice meditation to calm your anxious mind and indulge in some sort of physical activity during your break to make your mind and body perform at their best.
- Practice the model question papers and CBSE test papers of previous years so that you become familiar with the pattern of questions and able to time yourself accordingly.
- Follow a revision guide which has been updated with the latest syllabus so that revision is faster and accurate.
- Students can download the CBSE toppers’ answers from the CBSE website and then judge the standard of their answers and understand what is required to attain more marks.
- Turn off technology and social media like phone, TV, laptops, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. Focus on your studies since this is your deciding phase for a career path and this crucial time should not be whittled away for entertainment purpose.
We wish the students the best of luck for their forthcoming board exams. Viva Education has come out with a really effective series of Revision guides and Model test papers. They have chapter summaries, important questions, CBSE board question and model test papers. Please have a look at them and we are sure under their guidance you will pass out with flying colours!
Sangeeta Datta is Assistant General Manager – Marketing at Viva Books.